Write a 3–5-page blog post that explains how individual perceptions of power can create conflict situations between law enforcement and members of a community. Use the relational theory of power to explain how perceptions affect the ability to resolve conflict. Then, identify a conflict resolution strategy and predict the outcome.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 1: Identify variables within structures or institutions that can promote conflict.
. Describe the factors that contribute to conflict between law enforcement and members of a community.
· Competency 2: Apply theoretical perspectives on conflict.
. Use the relational theory of power to explain how perceptions of power interfere with the ability to resolve conflict.
· Competency 3: Apply appropriate strategies to reduce or resolve conflicts.
. Identify conflict resolution strategies for law enforcement–community conflicts.
· Competency 4: Analyze the impact of conflict on relationship building in face-to-face, virtual, cyber, and group communication.
. Explain how perceptions of power contribute to conflict situations.
· Competency 5: Evaluate the outcome of proposed strategies of conflict resolution.
. Determine the outcome of a conflict resolution strategy.
· Competency 6: Communicate effectively in a variety of formats.
. Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate APA format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
Suppose you are an active member of a community blog site that focuses on current events. The administrator of the blog has contacted you and asked you to write a blog on recent national events involving law enforcement agencies. The title of the blog is to be “Conflict and Power.”
Search the Capella library and the Internet to locate resources that address the dynamics of power and conflict (in particular, with relation to law enforcement), the relational theory of power, perceptions of power, and how things such as gender, culture, and ethnicity can affect that perception.
Complete the following:
· Describe the factors or conditions that contribute to conflict situations between law enforcement and citizens.
· Explain how perceptions of power may contribute to conflict situations between law enforcement and members of a community. Be sure you consider the perceptions of both the police and individual citizens.
· Use the relational theory of power to explain how perceptions of power affect the ability to resolve police–community conflict.
· Identify strategies you believe might be effective in reducing or resolving conflicts between police and communities.
· Choose one strategy and determine the likely outcome.
Although an actual blog would not have any specific formatting, format this assessment following APA guidelines. This format will facilitate faculty evaluation and feedback.
· Submit 3–5 typed, double-spaced pages, not including title and reference pages.
· Use 12-point, Times New Roman font.
· Include a title page and reference page.
· Cite at least 3 current scholarly or professional resources.